Recovery is a lifelong process that is not easy, but does not need to be miserable. In recovery, old habits of using drugs or alcohol are replaced with healthy new ones. Gradually, you will begin to experience the full joy of everything in life. Living substance free will help you to discover more about yourself such as your interests, hobbies, skills, and potential.
Robert Weiss, LCSW, CSAT-S wrote about happiness in recovery for I Love Recovery Cafe, “[It’s] an internal sense of happiness that persists no matter what happens in your life. It’s there when things go well; it’s there when things don’t go well. When you have this type of happiness, your need for escape through addictive substances and behaviors essentially goes away.”
A new substance-free life will allow you to have fun and explore your strengths and ambitions. Recovery can be difficult, but there are ways to experience an enduring sense of happiness in the process:
- Be grateful. Being grateful for what you have can reveal a true sense of happiness. If you are feeling depressed or anxious, write down a list of people, places, and things for which you are grateful. This will quickly improve your mood.
- Stay connected. People who get sober and stay sober are happier when they are connected to others in the same situation. In general, people usually are happier when they feel emotionally and psychologically connected to others.
- Forgive. When you forgive others, you let go of unnecessary resentment that would otherwise interfere with your happiness in sobriety. Let go of resentful feelings and understand that nobody is perfect.
- Be kind. Grow in recovery by being kind. When you feel comfortable, help a newcomer in recovery who is fighting for their life. Say hello and smile. Share your experience with them and encourage their sobriety.
- Self-acceptance. Something you will learn throughout your journey is self-acceptance. Even people who are not battling addiction struggle with accepting themselves the way they are.
Negative thoughts and stress can disrupt recovery and trigger relapse. Take back control of your life and discover true happiness in recovery.
Do not let addiction destroy your life. If you or a loved one struggles with addiction, get help today. Nexus Recovery Services specializes in addiction treatment and encompasses holistic therapy for the mind, body, and soul with a focus on staying active and connected to nature. Our mission is to provide tools and support for every client’s seamless transition into a meaningful and fulfilling life of sobriety. We offer a free and confidential consultation. Call us to get started: 888-855-6877