Special events such as weddings, summertime parties, and social gatherings can be difficult for people who are in recovery for an alcohol addiction. Many people associate these events with drinking alcohol. Attending these events can be very challenging when you are in recovery. Most people have been brainwashed to think alcohol provides all the fun at any gathering.
In reality, consuming alcohol can make people do things they normally would not do. People engage in risky behavior when they drink and put themselves and others in danger of accidents, especially if they attempt to drive. When you go to a party and stay sober, you can have more fun than when you drink.
Here are 5 tips on staying sober during special events and social gatherings:
- Bring your own drink. Having a drink readily available can stop the temptation to get an alcoholic beverage. When you have a drink in hand, you are less likely to feel the urge to order a drink.
- Order a non-alcoholic beverage. If you do not want to attract attention over your non-alcoholic drink, get a tonic, fizzy water, or soda in a nice glass with a slice of lime.
- Have an escape plan. If you have an escape plan, you will be comfortable knowing you can leave at any time. If people came to the party with you, be sure they have a ride home.
- Treat yourself. Plan a nice treat for yourself the following day for staying sober. Going to a party could have led to a relapse, but you stayed sober.
- Have no regrets. When people drink alcohol, they can do embarrassing things they normally would not do. Be happy you did not participate in any alcohol-induced behavior.
People do not need alcohol to have fun. Getting together with friends, family, and coworkers can be a fun without alcoholic beverages. Know that you can be confident, engage in conversation, and have fun without alcohol. Be proud of your sobriety and have fun without drinking.
“The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one.”
~ Elbert Hubbard
If you or a loved one struggle with addiction or are in need of drug or alcohol addiction treatment, get help now. Nexus Recovery Services specializes in addiction treatment and encompasses holistic therapy for the mind, body, and soul with a focus on staying active and connected to nature. Our mission is to provide tools and support for every client’s seamless transition into a meaningful and fulfilling life of sobriety. We offer a free and confidential consultation. Call us to get started: 888-855-6877