Rebuilding sustainable relationships after treatment for drug or alcohol addiction will take time. Loved ones also need time to heal from the devastation left by addiction. When trust is broken, it can be hard to mend a relationship.
Drug and alcohol addiction affects a person’s loved ones. They struggle to understand and cope with their loved one’s addiction. Family members and friends can mistakenly enable their loved one when they’re only trying to be supportive. Family and friends go through an exhausting emotional odyssey with their loved one’s addiction. Going to family or group therapy can help the healing process for everyone affected.
Here are 5 ways to rebuild relationships in recovery:
- Write. Start journaling on a regular basis to keep a record of your progress. Writing is therapeutic and allows you to express your feelings, keep your mind active, and reflect on your journey through tough times and accomplishments.
- Communicate. Keep communication open and remain calm, respectful, and responsive. Engage in positive and effective communication.
- Avoid relapse. Know what could lead to relapse and develop a plan to avoid situations that put you at high risk to abuse drugs and alcohol again. Find sober people to be around and meet new friends at group meetings. Stay away from establishments that remind you of your drug or alcohol use.
- Nurture interest in your loved ones’ lives. Go on walks together, watch a baseball game, attend family dinners, and spend some quality time with your parents. Find interest in their lives and show them you care.
- Take care of yourself. Continue to make improvements and reinforce your commitment to sobriety. Family and friends will see your progress, which will help to regain trust.
Recovery is a lifelong process. Rebuilding relationships with loved ones will take time because they have been through a lot, too. Over time, your loved ones will re-establish sustainable relationships with you throughout your successful recovery.
If you or a loved one struggles with addiction, get help now. Nexus Recovery Services specializes in addiction treatment and encompasses holistic therapy for the mind, body, and soul with a focus on staying active and connected to nature. Our mission is to provide tools and support for every client’s seamless transition into a meaningful and fulfilling life of sobriety. We offer a free and confidential consultation. Call us to get started: