Communication is a key element to maintaining sustainable relationships with others. It is important in any relationship to convey thoughts, ideas, and feelings. We communicate with co-workers, friends, partners, and even strangers. Addiction interferes with communication and damages relationships. Developing and maintaining healthy communication will help restore trust and avoid any misunderstandings.
Here are 5 strategies for communicating with your loved one:
- Stay positive. Resentment and anger toward your loved one can be harmful to healthy communication.
- Be patient. It seems impossible to get back to a normal life. The life as it was before will happen, but it takes time to heal from the chaotic, uncontrollable life of addiction.
- Avoid blaming and shaming. Allow enough time to mend and do not shame your loved one with negative comments and accusations. It can be harmful to someone who is trying to get help for an addiction. There is a high probability they feel guilt, shame, and unworthy of forgiveness for their self-destructive, reckless behavior.
- Acknowledge success. Everyone loves recognition for his or her accomplishments, and this applies to a person on the path to recovery. Each step may seem minor, but for someone living with a complicated disease such as addiction, each step in the right direction is a major accomplishment. He or she deserves acknowledgement and commendation for each day of sobriety. One day is extremely difficult to get through for someone in recovery for addiction.
- Reinforce support. Love and understanding will help your loved one’s recovery. Communicate your feelings to reinforce support. Support shows a family member they are loved and will have a positive effect in their recovery process.
A strategic communication plan makes the healing process more manageable and strengthens family relationships. Healthy communication is vital for sustainable relationships and helps restore trust and honesty with loved ones. Stay open and responsive to communication from your loved one and be respectful and mindful of their concerns and struggles in recovery.
If you or your loved one struggles with addiction, get help today. Nexus Recovery Services specializes in addiction treatment and is an exclusive experience for individuals who truly want to change. We encompass holistic therapy for the mind, body, and soul. Our mission is to provide tools and support for every client’s seamless transition into a meaningful and fulfilling life of sobriety. We offer a free and confidential consultation. Call us to get started:310-881-9151