Recovery from drug and alcohol addiction is a life-long process with many challenges and obstacles to overcome along the way. Addiction compromises personal relationships with loved ones and interferes with responsibilities. It results in job loss, financial problems, physical and mental health issues, overdose, and early death.
Benefits of Living Substance-free
- Heal broken relationships: Drug and alcohol addiction can cause trust issues with family and friends. When taking the steps to sobriety, family therapy and counseling is a good way to heal relationships.
- Increase job productivity: When living with an addiction to drugs and alcohol, you can have a hard time staying employed. Frequent absences, tardiness, and decline in job productivity can result in job loss. A life of sobriety allows more prompt, reliable and productive work.
- Save money: Living with a substance addiction will cause extra expenses so money is spent on drugs and alcohol. Sober living allows you to save money, pay the bills, and have the basic needs to sustain a healthy health.
- Physical health: An addiction to drugs and alcohol leads to physical health issues. The brain and other organs are affected and using drugs and alcohol can cause an early death. These health issues could be preventable with sober living.
- Mental health: Most substances have negative effects on mental health. Some heighten depression, anxiety, fear, paranoia, and insomnia. Living substance free allows a medical professional to treat any underlying psychological issues.
- Improve self-confidence: Addiction causes feelings of worthlessness, helplessness, and self-doubt. Sobriety allows a person to enjoy life to the fullest and pursue goals.
- Increase motivation: Living on drugs and alcohol has negative effects on health and self-worth. Sobriety allows for an increase in mood, health, and motivation.
- Self-discovery: Another great reason for sobriety is you get to know more about yourself and discover the real you.
- Memory: Drugs and alcohol affect memory and the ability to remember things, such as birthdays, holidays, or other events.
- Enjoy life: Living substance-free is more enjoyable. A healthy, sober mind changes a person’s perspective. Life is short. Enjoy it to the fullest.
If you or a loved one is struggling with an addiction, get help today. There is so much to enjoy while living substance-free. Addiction is treatable and recovery is possible. You are not alone.