When a person is addicted, he or she does not suffer alone. Addiction is a family disease and when one person is suffering with addiction, family members suffer, too. Fortunately, there are ways a family can heal when a loved one gets treatment. Here are some ways the family can heal:
- Participate in family therapy and counseling during treatment. This helps the family learn to cope emotionally and mentally.
- Maintain healthy communication with each other. Lack of communication causes a lot of misunderstandings and confusion.
- Learn as much as possible. Family members should learn as much as they can about addiction. This includes meeting other families who are going through similar experiences.
- Set boundaries and expectations. Family members should set boundaries and expectations. Boundaries protect yourself and establishes respect.
- Stay healthy. Make time for yourself and continue doing things that are enjoyable and pleasing to you. Take care of yourself physically, mentally, and emotionally.
- Go to individual therapy or counseling to help you cope with everything. Therapists and counselors can guide you in the healing process.
- Get enough sleep. An over-stimulated brain can lead to sleep deprivation or other disruptive sleep patterns. Talk to a medical professional about sleep schedule and he or she might have suggestions for you to get back to normal sleep patterns.
- Stay positive. The loved one is taking the steps to recovery and needs encouragement and support in his or her efforts. When families forgive, the healing process will be more manageable.
The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) wrote Family Therapy Can Help (2013), which states, “Family therapy can help the family as a whole recover and heal. It can help all members of the family make specific, positive changes as the person in recovery changes. These changes can help all family members heal from the trauma of mental illness or addiction.”
Addiction is treatable and families do recover and mend together. Get involved and get help today for yourself, family, and loved ones.
If you or a loved one struggle with addiction, get help now. Nexus Recovery Services specializes in addiction treatment and encompasses holistic therapy for the mind, body, and soul with a focus on staying active and connected to nature. Our mission is to provide tools and support for every client’s seamless transition into a meaningful and fulfilling life of sobriety. We offer a free and confidential consultation. Call us to get started: 888-855-6877