Addiction leads to serious problems, physically, mentally, and financially. Drugs and alcohol damage major body organs, such as the liver, heart, stomach, brain, and kidneys. The damage from drug and alcohol use can result in lifelong health complications and even death.
Addiction is a family disease. When a loved one is addicted, everyone in the family is affected. Family members experience emotional agony as their loved one’s life goes in a different direction. Often the addicted loved one limits his or her time around family, which results in long-term absences from family gatherings, holidays, or special family events.
There are ways to cope when a family member suffers from addiction. Learning that addiction is a disease is a good way to start. Here are some strategies to cope when your loved one has an addiction:
- Learn more about addiction by attending AA or NAR ANON meetings and listen to what others say about their experiences with addiction.
- Keep the communication open, positive, and encouraging. Go to group therapy or family counseling and get advice from professionals who are experienced with drug and alcohol addiction.
- Avoid shaming your loved one and encourage him or her to get help. An individual with an addiction might already have issues with guilt, self-esteem or an underlying co-occurring mental health condition. Negative remarks could contribute to your loved one continuing his or her drug and alcohol use.
- Understand you cannot control a person’s behavior. That includes your loved one’s addiction. Family therapy allows members to express their feelings.
- Set boundaries to let your loved one know what is off limits. This teaches him or her to respect your rules and space.
Addiction affects not only the individual but also family and friends. Understand that a person suffering from addiction must want to change his or her lifestyle. A person cannot be forced into treatment and recovery, but love, support, and encouragement is a start in the right direction.
If you or a loved one is battling an addiction, get help now. Make the call today and save a life.
If you or a loved one is struggling with addiction, get help today. Nexus Recovery Services specializes in addiction treatment and encompasses holistic therapy for the mind, body, and soul with a focus on staying active and connected to nature. Our mission is to provide tools and support for every client’s seamless transition into a meaningful and fulfilling life of sobriety. We offer a free and confidential consultation. Call us to get started: 888-855-6877