Methamphetamine, also known as meth, is an addictive stimulant drug that comes in the form of a powder and can be made into a pill or a shiny rock called crystal. The powder can be eaten or snorted. It can also be mixed with liquid and injected. Crystal meth is smoked in a small glass pipe.
Meth causes a rush of euphoria, but then the person who used it feels edgy, hyper, angry, or afraid. Meth use quickly leads to addiction and causes a host of medical problems. Some problems include:
- High temperature. Sometimes meth can cause your body to overheat and reach a temperature so high that you can pass out. The high body temperature can also kill you.
- Severe itching. Meth makes you feel like there are bugs crawling on or underneath your skin. This causes severe itching and leads to sores on your face and arms.
- Emotional problems. Meth use leads to addiction and damages different parts of your brain. It causes emotional problems that do not go away, even after you quit using. Meth can make you paranoid and you could feel, hear, or see things that are not there.
- Broken or rotting teeth. People who use meth often drink a large amount of sweet things, grind their teeth, and have dry mouth. Their teeth break, stain, and rot. This is what is known as meth mouth.
- HIV/AIDS or hepatitis. When you inject or shoot up, you increase your risk of contracting HIV/AIDS or hepatitis, which is a liver disease.
- Aged Appearance. When you use meth, you will start to look old. It causes you to burn a lot of energy while not eating well. This leads to weight loss and a sickly appearance. The skin has sores that do not heal and you develop the “shakes” in your hands or body and your mouth looks sunken as your teeth go bad.
There are more dangerous effects of meth use. The large amount of dopamine that is produced by meth triggers psychosis that can persist after the drug use stops. Meth use also leads to heart attack and stroke (Volkow, 2005). People do recover from meth addiction. Meth addiction is treatable and recovery is possible.
Do not let meth ruin your life. If you or a loved one struggles with addiction, get help today. Nexus Recovery Services specializes in addiction treatment and encompasses holistic therapy for the mind, body, and soul with a focus on staying active and connected to nature. Our mission is to provide tools and support for every client’s seamless transition into a meaningful and fulfilling life of sobriety. We offer a free and confidential consultation. Call us to get started: 888-855-6877